In the subspecialty in Plastic and Reconstructive you will be trained as a highly qualified specialist. You will provide comprehensive care to adult and pediatric patients with congenital or acquired craniofacial and hand conditions, deformities such as cleft lip and palate, through microsurgery procedures in the reconstruction of limbs, reimplantation, secondary breast reconstruction for breast cancer, burns, and use of grafts for these and other conditions, as well as esthetic surgical procedures of the trunk, face, and other areas. Resolutory in patients with massive weight loss too.
To enter this program, you will need to have completed two years of the Specialty in General Surgery.
Duration: 4 years.
Recognition of Official Validity of Studies (RVOE) granted by the Mexican Secretariat of Public Education in accordance with agreement 20110457 dated July 2016. Program accredited by the Programa Nacional de Posgrado de Calidad (PNPC) of CONACYT.
In the subspecialty in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery you will be trained with the skills and knowledge necessary to correct deformities of the human face or body caused by congenital defects, traumas, diseases, or aging, collaborating with the multidisciplinary team within a framework of ethics and respect to the environment. Furthermore, you will use the scientific research method as a habitual instrument in the comprehensive care of patients.
Student Learning Outcomes
- You will solve clinical problems of pathologies pertaining to Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in different clinical scenarios.
- You will demonstrate through your actions the principles of ethics and professionalism of your specialty.
- You will support the tutoring of lower-ranking peers and patients.
- You will develop research that will allow you to make decisions regarding the care of your patients.
You will be a competent physician that treats alterations of the face and body. You will cover two aspects or types of supplementary interventions whose boundaries are often difficult to establish: reconstructive surgery and plastic surgery.
Upon completion of your studies in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, you will have developed the following knowledge:
- Apply knowledge of methods and medical care techniques corresponding to those performed by a specialist in plastic and reconstructive surgery, both individually and as part of a team of specialist physicians.
- Develop knowledge of the plastic surgical procedures of the trunk, limbs, breast reconstruction, as well as reconstructive procedures applicable to traumas of the face and cranium, and facial paralysis, skin tumors, and tumors of the salivary glands.
- Apply the fundamental principles of reconstruction through the use of tissue engineering.
Upon completion of your studies in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, you will have developed the following skills:
- Apply the diagnosis and treatment resources corresponding to your area of professional practice.
- Appropriately apply medical literature related to plastic and reconstructive surgery to your daily work in order to support, deepen, and broaden your professional scope.
- Interpret the physician’s professional training process as a human and social phenomenon, taking into consideration the institutional conditions in which medicine is practiced and taught.
- Master the comprehensive management of the burned patient.
- Practice the technical principles of microsurgery.
- Be resolutory in the comprehensive care of patients with massive weight loss.
Upon completion of your studies in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, you will have developed the following attitudes:
- You will support the practice of plastic and reconstructive surgery on the principles of humanism and ethics, taking into consideration biopsychosocial integrity and respect of the environment.
- Participate in the development of medical research projects focused on the search of new information that will allow you to solve significant problems of your specialty.
- Participate in health education activities addressed to patients and the work team. Additionally, you will foster your permanent education and professional improvement.
- You will collaborate productively in interdisciplinary work groups in the field of health, fostering an integrative vision of your work with regard to the work of other professionals in the area, with awareness of your social responsibility and your importance within the health system.
Live an experience abroad
Have an academic experience abroad for a summer, a semester or a year.See more
Are you an international student?
Discover the programs that UDEM has for you.See more
Consult the courses that you will take in the Subspecialty in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
|SSCP1001||Fundamentals of Plastic Surgery||4|
|SSCP1003||Surgery of the Hand I||4|
|SSCP1010||Clinical Training I||70|
|SSCP2001||Congenital Deformities I||4|
|SSCP2002||Surgery of the Hand II||4|
|SSCP2005||Thoracic Extremity I||4|
|SSCP2010||Clinical Training II||70|
|SSCP2011|| Massive Weight Loss I||4|
|SSCP2012||Tissue Engineering I||4|
|SSCP3001||Congenital Deformities II||4|
|SSCP3004||Cranio-Maxillofacial Trauma and Facial Paralysis||4|
|SSCP3012||Clinical Training III||70|
|SSCP3013||Thoracic Extremity II||4|
|SSCP3014||Surgery of the Hand III||4|
|SSCP3015||Massive Weight Loss II||4|
|SSCP4010||Clinical Training IV||70|
|SSCP4004||Massive Weight Loss III||4|
|SSCP4005||Tissue Engineering II||4|
|SSCP3009||Medical and Health Education||6|
Learn about the success stories of our graduates.